Multiple meaning words is the focus of a lesson designed to reinforce the use of context clues. Scholars listen carefully to a variety of sentences using the words pool and cast to decide which definition best fits the context. Then, they share their decision and discuss their thinking process.
- Conduct the lesson in small group rotations, and choose words that best fit the needs of the members of each small group
- As a class, brainstorm and define additional multiple meaning words
- Have a dictionary readily available to confirm definitions and reinforce dictionary skills
- Lesson benefits more than just second graders, depending on your class's learning needs
- Print and laminate sentence strips for continued use with little wear and tear
- Detailed lesson steps come with a key to distinguish between teacher and pupil information
- Provides scaffolding techniques and adaptations