This My Antonia: K-W-H-L Strategy lesson plan also includes:
Use the well-known KWHL chart as a tool for building up to a research project and oral presentation related to Willa Cather's My Antonia. Starting with a class brainstorm, pupils research and gradually narrow down topics relating to migrating west and then select a final topic to research and present to the class.
- Collaborate with the US history department on this project to add more depth and additional research time
- Note that the resource suggests this KWHL be completed after pupils have finish "Book II: The Hired Girls" in My Antonia
- You may wish to tweak a few things; for example, the current plan requires the teacher to read over each student paper several times before the final project, and this may not be a plausible plan for all teachers
- See the materials tab for a sample KWHL chart that is already filled out and a blank graphic organizer to provide to students
- Lays out a progression for how to get from brainstorming in class to a final project