This Mystery Disease lesson plan also includes:
How did scientists determine the cause of illness before technology? Science scholars play the role of medical researcher in an engaging guided inquiry activity. Using observations, technical reading, and Punnett squares, learners uncover the mystery of sickle cell anemia. The lab provides experience with gel electrophoresis preparation and data analysis.
- Prep the class for the lab work by assigning pipetting and electrophoresis demonstration videos as homework
- Use the discussion topics in the teacher's guide to take the lesson further
- The lesson plan is suitable for biology and microbiology classes
- The teacher's guide contains a detailed materials list, pacing guide, and all printable materials
- Lab safety and proper equipment handling is stressed and assessed throughout the lesson
- Pupils get to experience firsthand how scientists researched and categorized new illnesses before the advent of computers and the Internet