This Next Generation Spacecraft—Orion lesson plan also includes:
What is the cross-sectional area of the Orion spacecraft? Groups work together to estimate the area of a cross section of the Orion spacecraft by first counting the number of grids a scale drawing covers. Pupils also employ a method to decompose the scale drawing into figures they can use to calculate area.
- Have the class decompose figures to get an estimate of the areas
- Review how to calculate percent error
- The calculations will be easier if pupils have access to calculators
- The answer key provides one solution method to the problems
- The activity has the groups check the percent error of their calculations based upon the actual area
- Videos are difficult to find