This Nomination Process lesson plan also includes:
"I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States..." Scholars investigate the nomination process of Supreme Court justices when assuming office. Through examination of primary and secondary documents, they analyze the long process that a justice must take before serving on the highest court in the land.
- Discuss the role of the three branches of government in the nomination and selection process for the Supreme Court
- Have students work in groups to form a selection committee and interview with a candidate
- Have the excerpt from the Constitution on the board and visible to the entire classroom
- Includes a description of the nomination process and interview questions to use in role playing
- Contains extension ideas for teacher to use along with primary resources from Justice Ginsburg