Why Lesson Planet?
Compound machines, nothing more than a combination of simple machines working together, are the focus of an activity that asks class members to use the provided information to take a look at the way innovators combine simple machines to improve on existing products. The resource also provides an introduction to Rube Goldberg and his crazy inventions.
- Bring in compound machines, or a picture of them, and have the class determine the simple machines that comprise the machines
- Research some of the Rube Goldberg designs and identify the simple machines within the designs
- The class should be familiar enough with simple machines so they can recognize them in other contexts
- The seventh in a 10-part series
- The resource contains a vocabulary list along with definitions
- Includes an engineering connection section that discusses how engineers go about designing a new product
- The lesson plan does not include instructional methods