How do we tell organic molecules apart? Discover the basics of alkene and alkyne formulas, bonding, and isomers with a video from JFR Science. The narrator shows examples, adds functional groups, then creates isomers to elaborate on how double bonds affect functional group position.
- Use the video to teach structure and nomenclature at the same time
- Plan some practice time after watching until pupils get the hang of it
- Consider passing out molecular modeling kits and having the class build the molecules along with the narrator
- Builds molecules slowly so that pupils can piece together the structure as well as its name
- Shows isomers both as models and as diagrams to make sure viewers understand how they differ in 3-D space