This Predator-Prey Simulation lesson plan also includes:
Do your pupils have the misconception that environmental predators are "bad" and harm smaller creatures? The simulation explains, in detail, the important role predators play in maintaining a stable ecosystem. Through web-based research, the class discovers new concepts about predators and their prey. They conclude by participating in a discussion speculating the future of an environment without predator-prey relationships.
- Each individual in the class uses a computer-generated predator-prey simulation, such as one found on the Internet
- Have all individuals complete research on predator-prey species relationship of interest to them
- Research local wildlife population and choose the predators, prey, and present issues that would be applicable to discuss while completing this activity
- Provides a detailed explanation of a common misconception about environmental predators
- Little cleanup is involved and materials may be recycled
- The activity is generalized, so educators need to provide more specific details to encourage class participation