What a great way to combine English language arts with your celebration of Presidents' Day! Youngsters are guided through the reading of a poem sung to the tune of "Itsy Bitsy Spider" on the jobs of the president of the United States, identifying sight words and underlining and discussing other key words along the way.
- As a follow-up to the activity, explain that adults choose someone to be president that they think will be a good leader, and for older learners, consider introducing the concept of voting
- Practice the song a few times, and then sing the song together as a class one last time before the school day ends
- Highlight some of the more well-known presidents for youngsters, such as the current president or George Washington
- More challenging activity ideas provided for older students
- Nice printout of poem included