This Pulley Systems Used at Fort McHenry lesson plan also includes:
- Lesson Plan
- Join to access all included materials
What a great opportunity to integrate science into your lesson on the War of 1812! Discover how pulley systems were used to move 1,000 lb. cannons at the Battle of Fort McHenry, and to raise the flag that would inspire Francis Scott Key to write the "Star-Spangled Banner." You may even want to team up with another Science teacher and transform this lesson into a more in-depth interdisciplinary project.
- Engaging, hands-on interdisciplinary activity
- Includes detailed procedures, activity sheet, and exit ticket assessment
- Broken link to video clip in lesson plan procedures, but you can search online for a variety of videos on the flag raising at Fort McHenry
- Need to collect materials (i.e. straws, large thread spools, string, etc.) for activity