This Ruby Bridges: A Simple Act of Courage, Grades K-2 lesson plan also includes:
A civil rights movement lesson designed specifically with the Common Core State Standards in mind, young learners are introduced to the story of Ruby Bridges as the first African American child to attend an all-white elementary school. They analyze photographs, write letters to Ruby, role play, and discuss issues of fairness and equality.
- This is the perfect resource to utilize during your observation of Black History Month, the civil rights movement, or Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- While the slide show does illustrate the progression of events and serves as a great image analysis activity, the instructor will need to supplement with additional background information so students can gain a more clear understanding
- Consider whether the concept of segregation is an appropriate topic for the level of your students
- Nice variety of writing and primary source analysis activities
- All worksheets provided (see included materials)
- Excellent instructional suggestions