This Shape Sorting: Looking for Green! lesson plan also includes:
Young mathematicians rotate, flip, and sort their way to an understanding of the different attributes of geometric figures. Using transparent yellow and blue shapes, children try to match congruent figures together to create green shapes, before sorting them based on the number of sides and angles they have.
- Use this activity as a math learning center during a unit on shapes in pre-k or kindergarten classrooms
- Laminate the shapes and sorting mat, extending the life of the materials so they can be used year after year
- Some preparation is required cutting out shapes for students to use during the lesson
- The learning activity in this lesson requires either a light table or an overhead projector
- Offers suggestions for extending learning about shapes
- A video is provided that demonstrates the learning activity involved in this lesson