Can your class sum up a text in a few sentences? Help them build this skill by starting out nice and slow. For this summarizing activity, the teacher marks main ideas with sticky notes. Learners read the text and then read it again, this time pausing at the main ideas and filling out a graphic organizer. The final product is a brief summary.
- Before making copies, write in some sentence frames to get your learners started
- Use the templates for summarizing any text, either informational or literary
- As a next step, or with longer texts, have your learners flesh out their summaries with supporting details
- The summary is very basic and focuses only on main ideas, which may prove to be a great first step for your pupils
- While the resource suggest that you mark main ideas with sticky notes, the graphic organizers are generic and could be used in any number of ways
- Comes with three different summary graphic organizers to choose from depending on your preference or purposes