This Soccer, Salaries and Sexism lesson plan also includes:
Call it soccer, call it football, but call it unfair! the US women's soccer team has called out the US Soccer Federation for unfair treatment in terms of salaries, support, and working conditions in a lawsuit filed in 2019. Young scholars read an article about the lawsuit, watch a video, respond to a series of true/false statements, and investigate the Title IX ruling to gather information about what the team terms gender discrimination in the sport. Class members then develop a plan of action that they feel would address these inequalities.
- Have a group investigate the current status of the US women's soccer team lawsuit
- Have a group investigate the impact of Title IX on their school's programs
- Have another group research and report on the provisions of the Equal Pay Act
- Requires copies, one per pupil, of the "Citing Gender Discrimination" article
- The article, designed for a 7th grade reading level, is also available at 3, 5, 9, and 12th grade levels