This Soul Food Junkies: Portions activity & project also includes:
Serve up a rate of percents. The Math at the Core resource investigates the percent of daily value of sodium and saturated fats in different foods. Pupils determine the number of serving sizes they eat of popular snack foods and calculate their intake of the daily value of sodium and saturated fats. They calculate the daily value based on totals and percent of total daily allowances.
- Have students keep a food diary for a day to calculate the percent of daily recommended saturated fat and sodium
- Compare serving sizes and nutrition labels from several similar foods
- The class should be comfortable working with percents as a rate
- Part of the Math at the Core: Ratios playlist
- Provides learning outcomes
- Contains time suggestions for each aspect of the activity