This Square Partitions activity & project also includes:
Challenge your classes while developing their problem-solving skills. A square is divided neatly into four equal triangles by its diagonals until one diagonal is moved from a vertex to the midpoint of one side. Now, scholars must devise a plan to figure out the percent of the square that is in each new triangle. They use areas or similar triangles, or maybe they will come up with something you haven't even considered!
- Incorporate as a performance task assessment during a unit on proportions and percents
- Have pupils display their solution method as a poster and lead a gallery walk to compare information
- Expects an understanding of percents
- Uses a video to present the question to increase motivation
- Provides options for extension