Stand in My Shoes, a story by Bob Sornson, is an effective way to teach young learners about empathy and making friends. Once pupils read through the story, they answer a series of discussion questions and complete reading activities about the ways they can show empathy toward their peers.
- Bring into a unit about anti-bullying or overcoming adversity
- Assign the reading activities to pupils as homework activities to practice with parents
- References other books in Unit 1, in which you can replace with any story you are focusing on in class
- Provides a list of discussion questions and relevant vocabulary words
- Promotes critical thinking in both reading comprehension and interpersonal relationships