This Stewie the Duck Learns to Swim app also includes:
Make a splash with an interactive storybook that emphasizes water safety. Directed at preschoolers and primaries, the ducky tale and games reinforce the rules of wearing a life vest whenever near water, making sure to have a supervising adult with you, and taking lessons so that you can learn how to swim.
- Interactive storybook includes important water safety rules
- Throughout the story, a safety song is repeated four times so that listeners will learn it
- From within the story, return to home page by tapping the house icon or jump ahead to other pages by tapping the Safety Ring icon
- Extras includes a sing-along that plays the water safety song and displays the lyrics
- Extras includes a matching game that reviews water safety rules by reviewing lyrics to the song
- From the home screen, choose Auto Play, Read Myself, or Read to Me for different reading abilities
- A For Parents section provides water safety tips and information about the publisher
Really cute and cuddly
How techie do I need to be?
When you first introduce Stewie to your little ducks, connect your tablet to your projector and have the story read out loud to your class. Later, allow children to review it and play the matching game in a center or small group setting. Throughout the last few weeks of school, replay the song regularly and have kids sing along to really remember the rules before they head out for summer vacation. You could even have the children dress as ducks and sing the song as part of your end-of-the-year presentations!
The Auto Play option seems to stop after the first page is read, with no choice but to return to the home screen. This simply means that you would need to choose Read to Me and manually turn the pages.
Although engaging, the activity of searching for hidden rubber duckies on each page may detract from the messages of the story. For this reason, it is recommended that you introduce the app to your class via projector first, discussing each of the safety rules as they appear.
- Adorable ducks are age-appropriate
- Opt to read on your own or have the story read out loud
- Very easy to navigate, perfect for two- to six-year-olds
- Interactives found on each page of the story
- The Auto Play feature seems to get stuck