This Stories of Painkiller Addiction: Commitment to Recovery lesson plan also includes:
Recovery from substance addiction is an ongoing process. The final lesson in a series about painkiller abuse and addiction prompts learners to research various recovery options before writing a short story about a character who is going through recovery.
- Have class members write their narrative stories in language arts before watching the video in health class
- Assign the video for homework before discussing it in class the next day to flip the classroom
- Does not include a writing rubric; create your own or use an existing rubric to assess the stories
- Be aware that some class members may have personal experience with drug abuse and recovery, either in their own lives or in the lives of their loved ones
- Includes an educator's guide to enhance instruction
- Encourages class members to learn more about actual recovery facilities and procedures