This Sugar Crystal Challenge activity & project also includes:
- Lab & Experiment
- Join to access all included materials
Blow your learners' minds with a sweet lesson on nanotechnology that uses sugar to demonstrate the difference nanoscale surface area makes in dissolving and crystal formation. Plenty of supportive background information is read to introduce the concepts, and then two activities are carried out. Since the sugar crystals take about a week to form, you will need to set aside a later class period in order to wrap this lesson up. Though the publisher mentions many grade levels, this would be the best fit for middle schoolers.
- Adaptable to scientific literacy goals for the Common Core State Standards
- Using sugar as an example increases interest
- Neatly formatted student lab sheets included
- Hands-on activities help learners to master hard-to-visualize concepts