Take a dive into a three-dimensional task. Given a specific surface area, individuals must maximize the volume of a cylindrical swimming pool. They combine their understanding of surface area and volume to create a cubic function that models the possible volume of the pool.
- Use as a performance task during a unit on surface area and volume
- Encourage pupils to use multiple representations such as table and graphs
- Requires proficiency with calculating surface area and volume of a cylinder
- Provides a worked-out solution guide
- Combines several concepts in a single task