This Teach This Poem: "Tamales on Christmas" by Christian Robinson lesson plan also includes:
A lesson spotlights the poem "Tamales on Christmas" by Christian Robinson. Scholars discuss their favorite foods and then examine a lively picture of a family preparing tamales. After listening to the poem twice, learners participate in a small group discussion, then a whole-class discussion. Middle schoolers go on to write a poem about food, and high schoolers compose a written piece following a specific prompt.
- Direct class members to draw a picture similar to that in the lesson; one that showcases their family making a meal
- Make the lesson part of Hispanic Heritage Month, which takes place from September 15 through October 15, or during the winter holidays
- The poem mentions death; this may be a sensitive topic for learners
- Requires projection equipment to display the picture, internet access, and audio for the video
- Includes a video of the poet reading his poem
- The image of the painting brings to life a perfect visual representation of the poem