This The Concept of Identity Lesson 7: Logical Fallacies lesson plan also includes:
What are the effects of competition in an academic environment? The competition between the main characters in A Separate Peace motivates a series of activities that asks readers to take a stance on competition, and then to develop a short argumentative essay.
- Have groups access and summarize the key ideas in the articles found on the resource sheet
- The seventh in a nine-lesson unit, designed for a gifted and talented English language arts class, that uses A Separate Peace as the anchor text
- The nine-page resource includes the plan, worksheets, a writing checklist, links to sites that provide a review of argumentation, as well as a link to a website that explains the many different types of logical fallacies
- Some readers may need additional support to see how identifying the logical fallacies in Finny's statements would help them avoid logical fallacies in their argumentative essay on competition in an academic environment
- No rubric is provided for the writing assignment