This The Debate - John Brown: Martyr or Madman? lesson plan also includes:
Did he die for a cause, or was he crazy? Although the resource discusses John Brown and West Virginia history, many historical figures have the same reputation. Teach learners about different perspectives and highlight the importance of debate using a great standalone resource. Class members fill out two different worksheets, engage in group discussion, and participate in a class debate.
- Create a whole unit where scholars debate different interpretations of several historical events using primary sources as evidence
- Have learners prepare a speech about their viewpoint
- May need to remind pupils several times about the importance of respectful language while debating
- Note that Word docs are large and may take longer to open
- Includes possible discussion and questions as well as an essay prompt
- Encourages critical thinking