Explore the theme of release and death in Lois Lowry's The Giver with a K-W-H-L chart. After noting what they already know, kids come up with a list of questions about topics that they would like to know about, as well as how they will find the answers. They fill out the final part of the chart after they learn something new about the way the novel uses the term release.
- Have kids do the same activity with another theme or motif from the novel
- Prompt kids to provide textual evidence for the last column of the graphic organizer
- Answer key is more of a list of suggestions; feel free to modify according to your curriculum
- Encourages critical thinking and close reading
- Blank page would work with any piece of literature