This The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave handout & reference also includes:
- The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave - 5th Grade
- Primary Source
- Join to access all included materials
After reading excerpts from Frederick Douglass' autobiography, your pupils will draw on what they've learned about the cruelty of slavery in order to write and present an anti-slavery speech or editorial.
314 Views 200 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable
- The assignment provides guidance for approaching and analyzing Douglass' narrative. Have learners use these tips to annotate their excerpts, and then submit their work as a form of practice and assessment.
- Utilize the opportunity for cross-curricular work with both persuasive writing and primary source analysis
- Learners should be introduced to the general institution of slavery and its position in American history prior to beginning this lesson
- Narrative is broken up into focused, organized segments for activity
- Comprehensive lesson, including engaging anticipatory set, writing assignment, jigsaw reading, and graphic organizer