This The Poetry of Chinese Immigration lesson plan also includes:
Numerous people from China immigrated to the US during the era of industrialization and expansion. Provide your class with a glimpse into the life of a Chinese immigrant through the poetry they left behind. They then compose a poem of their own from the perspective of a Chinese immigrant.
- Connect between language arts and American history class
- Provide optional poetic forms as guidance or support
- Expand the assignment to include immigrants from any era in American history; have learners compare and contrast their experience with the challenges faced by Chinese immigrants
- Poems are available in both English and Chinese; if no one in your class can read Chinese, try to find an audio version of the poem
- Lesson plan is organized into a step-by-step process
- Provides necessary worksheets, poems, and writing prompts