This The Teosinte Hypothesis activity & project also includes:
Don't want to sound corny, but your class will be a-maize-d by an engaging activity! Explore the history of the modern corn plant through a video and Punnett squares. Junior genetics experts get hands-on experience with actual research data by relating genotype to phenotype and discussing the probability of teosinte traits.
- Use the lesson with an accompanying video about the origins of corn
- Plan additional time to discuss probability versus outcome and use data from the lesson as the basis
- Consider grouping students for the activity if they are unfamiliar with Punnett squares
- The video is interesting and just the right length to deliver the information without losing engagement
- Lesson is versatile and can be used for learners with different levels of genetics knowledge