This The Wars That Inspired Game of Thrones video also includes:
Discover how the power struggle between two noble families in the historical conflicts of the War of the Roses served as the basis for much of the drama in the hit series Game of Thrones. This animated video dissects shifts in the rule of England between the Lancaster (Lannister) and York (Stark) families in the fifteenth century, drawing direct parallels to Game of Thrones and entertaining viewers all along the way.
- Note in your class discussions and presentation of this video that the Game of Thrones television series is intended for mature viewers
- This would be a very difficult video for ELLs to follow given the high number of formal family names and quick transitions
- Engaging graphics and animations
- Customize online assessment, discussion questions, and additional resources
- Connection to popular culture will likely engage students
- Can be a bit difficult to follow (this brief video attempts to illustrate several historical events in the War of Roses, and can be confusing with regard to who is ruling at a particular time and why)