This Transcribing Civil War History lesson plan also includes:
Primary sources are valuable for understanding the context of historical events, but the diction and dialect in these documents can be difficult to understand. Middle and high schoolers participation in a transcription process in which they translate primary sources from the Civil War to reflect a modern version.
- Feature the oral presentations during a grade-wide focus on the Civil War
- Create a cross-curricular lesson between social studies and language arts
- Encourage individuals or groups to use multimedia in their modernized presentation
- The transcription process might be difficult for younger learners,
- Encourages a connection to primary sources and documents from the past
- Comes with modification ideas for different audiences