This Understanding the Effects of Differences in Speed—Problem Set D interactive also includes:
Fall back and slow down. The fourth lesson in a six-part series on air traffic control leads the class to find the difference in distance traveled based upon the difference in speed. Pupils work through a problem related to walking speeds before moving back to airplanes.
- Use proportional reasoning to convert knots to nautical miles per minute
- Have classmates act out how the speed of walking affects the difference in the distance traveled
- Pupils should be familiar with air traffic control terms
- The answer key shows the locations based on speed on a number line
- Provides a mathematical derivation of the difference in distances based upon the difference in speeds