This What is Skin For? video also includes:
Smooth or scaly, skin is sensational! Besides keeping us from being gooey, what does it do? Pupils embark on an integumentary investigation with a short video about skin. Topics include the special features of skin cells, how skin protects us from physical and biological harm, and a comparison of skin types between humans and animals.
- Use the video to kick off an integumentary system unit
- Create a stations lab where pupils examine skins from different types of animals and have them compare them in terms of texture and thickness
- Pupils should know basic cell structure terms before watching the video
- Illustrates how our brains and powers of reasoning make it possible for us to survive without super-thick scales
- The animations are amusing and provide excellent visual reference for pupils learning how skin cells transform to create the outer layer of our skin