This Who Am I? Identity Poems lesson plan also includes:
A lesson celebrating identity begins with a something-about-me activity, then moves on to writing favorite words. Class members then brainstorm metaphors and comparisons and read a poem to inspire their poetic abilities. Scholars craft an acrostic poem.
- Create a poetry corner in your classroom where learners can read their finished products to their peers
- Perform the lesson in April, National Poetry Month, or at the start of the school year to get to know your class
- Keep poems in portfolios to give back at the end of the year and reflect on answers
- Materials need copying and some preparation with cutting and sorting
- The lesson acts as an icebreaker to learn more about each classmate
- Worksheets assist pupils in writing their poem