Does cell size have something to do with magic? No, but their size has everything to do with geometry. The video explores an analysis of two cylinder's volumes, showing how surface area affects volume. Learners see how in biology, surface area is maximized compared to volume. It explores Allen's Rule to show the demonstration in the real world. This is then applied to cells. This is part 36 in a series of 37.
- Pause the video and ask learners which cylinder has the greater volume and why
- After the video reveals the volumes, pause it and ask if anyone can explain why
- Must have a computer, Internet access, and a projection system to utilize the video
- Great visual comparing the volume of two pieces of 8 1/2 x 11 paper rolled into different cylinder shapes
- Interesting presentation of Allen's Rule allows students to think in a different way