This Women in Early Film Lesson Plan lesson plan also includes:
The role of women in the early film industry, both on screen and behind the scenes, is the focus of a resource that asks class members to analyze movie posters and DVD covers from the 1910s and 1920s. Using examples drawn from the National Women's History Museum's online exhibit Women in Early Film, pupils consider how societal attitudes toward gender, race, and sex influenced impacted the roles women played.
- If all class members have access to the Internet, flip the lesson having learners read the articles out of class before returning for discussion
- Create a list of other early female directors (i.e., Vera Chytilova, Lina Wertmuller, Agnes Vardo, Ida Lupino, etc.) for individuals to research
- Links are provided for browsers that do not support the plugins
- Expand the lesson to three days if reading the articles in class
- The resource includes background articles, images, film clips, and a project worksheet
- No rubric for the poster project is included