This Word Problem with Rational Numbers—Balancing Bars of Soap activity & project also includes:
Here's a resource teachers won't want to wash their hands of. Given a task where a full bar of soap is on one side of a balance and 3/4 of a bar of soup and a 3/4-ounce weight is on the other side, young mathematicians must determine the weight of the bar of soap. They read a conversation about a possible solution method and discuss what they have learned about multiplying fractions.
- Provide a balance, bars of soap, and weights for scholars to actually simulate the problem situation
- Pupils should have an understanding of equality
- Some basic familiarity with multiplying fractions is beneficial
- Lists questions to use during discussion
- Requires the use of higher-level thinking skills