Drafting a strong first sentence for a summary is an important step. Writers can use the formula presented on this handout to get started. The resource lists three steps to put together a strong topic sentence, as well as tips and hints for the remainder of the summary.
- Individuals can keep this sheet in their binders or notebooks for reference when composing summaries
- The steps are clearly shown on the reference page
- Includes a list of verbs that pupils can use in their topic sentences
- Only scratches the surface about the other parts of writing a summary
- Learners will need more instruction on how to determine the main idea or concept of a text; it's not always as simple as the handout implies