This Close Reading in Expert Groups: What is it Like in the Rainforest Canopy? (Pages 13–16) lesson plan also includes:
Put it together piece by piece. Scholars read pages 13-16 of The Most Beautiful Roof in the World by dividing it into chunks. They analyze each chunk for gist and word meaning. Individuals then create a matching game by writing chunk numbers on one index card and gist on another for classmates to match.
- Discuss the importance of chunking text as a reading strategy
- Lesson five of 15 in Grade 5 ELA Module 2a, Unit 2
- Must complete lessons in order
- Uses two index cards per pupil
- Organizes vocabulary by chunks of text
- Includes a teacher reference page with definitions to vocabulary