This Fractions: Intro interactive also includes:
There's nothing improper in learning about fractions. Scholars apply an interactive to explore models for proper and improper fractions. They then answer a set of questions in a game that requires building models for given fractions and writing fractions for given models.
- Have classmates work in pairs, where one partner suggests a fraction and the other models the fraction using the interactive
- Learners should have experience with both proper and improper fractions
- Note that some tasks use denominators not allowed by the Common Core math standards at the third grade level
- Uses different types of fraction models, including circles, horizontal and vertical fraction bars, graduated cylinders, cakes, and number lines
- Interactive automatically updates models to match fractions