This Rational Number Project: Initial Fraction Ideas lesson plan also includes:
Deepen the fractional number sense of young learners with this introductory lesson plan on equivalent fractions. After completing a short warm-up activity, children go on to work in pairs using fraction circles to complete a table of equivalent fractions before ending the lesson plan with a fun Fraction Fill game.
- Play the Fraction Fill game in partners or groups of three, allowing children to collaborate and strategize using their knowledge of equivalent fractions
- Allow students to use the completed equivalent fractions table as a reference following lessons on fractions
- If the technology is available, allow children to use the online manipulatives when filling in their equivalent fractions table
- Lesson calls for sets of fraction circles for both the teacher and students, if these are unavailable create sets out of card stock using the included templates
- All supporting materials are included with the lesson
- Lesson includes a clear set of procedures, complete with notes and special considerations