This Rosa Parks and the Montgomery Bus Boycott lesson plan also includes:
Participants examine two documents related to Rosa Parks and the bus boycott, sources that challenge some of the commonly held preconceptions about Rosa Parks. They then respond to discussion questions to reinforce understanding and begin a conversation.
- Good springboard for a broader discussion about how different narratives are told about the same historical event
- Expand by having the class explore other primary sources about Rosa Parks
- Although directed towards teachers, you can certainly use this lesson with students
- Shows how primary sources challenge some of the myths surrounding historical figures
- Uses primary sources that aren't commonly used
- Provides a helpful, concise historical background