Helpful for both reading and writing units, a video about identifying supporting details in reading passage shows young learners the importance of bulking up informative writing. The presentation uses cartoons and longer passages to point out main ideas and the details that best support them.
- Have your class watch the video at home or in a computer lab, taking notes on the important points
- Show the video in the beginning of a reading lesson with pauses at appropriate moments
- Video is a little long for classroom instruction; you'll need to break it up to keep it from being overwhelming
- Provides brainstorm instructions for analyzing informative passages
- Some of the slides contain too much text for younger learners
- Video is not very engaging