This Teach This Poem: “Home” by Bruce Weigl lesson plan also includes:
A poetry activity takes a close look at home. Scholars discuss with partners what they are most grateful for at their homes. A timelapse video showcases potato tubers growing. While watching, pupils write down what they notice. Learners then write what they notice about the poem "Home" by Bruce Weigl. A whole-class discussion analyzes their findings and feelings. An optional writing assignment challenges class members to elaborate on their home experiences in poem form.
- Display finished products at Open House for families to read
- Not everyone's home experience is pleasant; invite pupils to share about a place for which they are grateful
- Requires internet access, projection, and audio
- If assigning the writing portion of the lesson, participants need to know how to write the type of poem
- A second viewing of the video boosts comprehension
- Touches on gratitude