This Toni Morrison's Beloved: For Sixty Million and More lesson plan also includes:
Complex, disturbing, and challenging, Beloved is the focus of a lesson that provides three activities to guide a close reading of Toni Morrison's novel. Readers create chapter titles based on key plot elements or themes, identify important communities in the story, and craft a sermon based on one of the themes in the novel. To conclude, pupils create a project that they feel represents key elements of the novel.
- Display class members' products around the classroom and conduct a gallery walk with creators detailing the vision for the novel that the project illustrates
- Given the complex structure of the novel and its narrative, the lesson is most appropriate for strong readers
- A structure must be in place to permit a safe, respectful discussion of the sensitive issues presented in the novel
- The film version of the novel is "R" rated
- Includes extensive background information and links to related resources for instructors
- A link to a free, audiobook of the novel is included