After reading "The Pied Piper of Hamelin," scholars discuss the emotions the events provoked in its characters. In pairs, writers compose a letter depending on the topic and style of their choice then reply to their own or a peer's letter.
59 Views 35 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable
- Split the lesson into two periods; read the story and conduct the discussion on day one, direct pairs to begin writing on day two, and assign replies on day three
- Review completed letters for comprehension and letter writing fluency, create a lesson that addresses challenge areas to follow the activity
- Pupils should be familiar with several writing styles and the story
- Requires copies—one per group
- Gives learners the opportunity to choose their writing prompt
- The type of letter is highlighted with bold font