This Why So Blue? lesson plan also includes:
It turns out blue is not just for the Smurfs! Introduce young geneticists to the Fugate family, known throughout Kentucky for their unusual skin tone. A two-day lesson from K20 explores dominant and recessive traits through partner activities, research, and a pedigree study.
- Introduce recessive gene inheritance by placing the activity at the midpoint of a genetics unit
- Take the lesson further by learning more about the treatment used to get rid of the blues
- Make sure to print the pedigree chart clearly so pupils can follow it
- The Fugate family's blue trait is a fantastic hook!
- Activity gives students experience in working with pedigrees, a difficult but necessary skill