This Money in the Piggy Bank lesson plan also includes:
- Answer Key
- Join to access all included materials
It's time to crack open that piggy bank and see what's inside. First, count up the pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters, identifying what fraction of them are dimes. Then calculate the total value of the coins, writing another fraction for the value of the dimes. A challenging problem that requires young scholars to look at a single group of objects in two very different ways.
- Context deepens an understanding of fractions as parts of a whole
- Key information clearly presented using bullet points
- Numbers chosen to allow fractions to be written in simplest form
- Requires prior knowledge about value of US currency