This Out of the Dust unit also includes:
The Grapes of Wrath may be the most famous novel set during the Dust Bowl, but what other stories cover the same time? The unit focuses on the Karen Hesse novel Out of the Dust. Learners keep a timeline of the Dust Bowl, maintain a character analysis graphic organizer, write a multi-paragraph argumentative essay about the novel's theme, and write a descriptive summary of the people of Oklahoma in the 1930s.
- Show the class pictures of the 1930s Dust Bowl and have individuals write poems reflecting what they see
- Requires dictionaries for some of the activities
- Many of the lessons require supplemental reading material (links provided)
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Lists several additional resources
- Sequence of lessons is well-organized and easy to follow