This What's That Food? lesson plan also includes:
Get things cooking with the first lesson plan in this series on the science of food. Working in small groups, young scientists make and record observations about different mystery foods. These descriptions are then shared with the class and facilitate a discussion on the six basic food groups. To conclude, learners create a balanced menu including breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks to demonstrate their understanding of healthy eating. Consider bringing in multiple examples of each food group to reinforce an understanding of the different categories.
- Worksheet provided in both English and Spanish
- Mystery food activity engages students in learning about food groups
- Working in small groups provides support as the class begins learning about a new topic
- Allows for interdisciplinary connections with the children's book The Mysterious Marching Vegetables, which is available online
- Teacher might consider developing their own pre-assessment to document prior knowledge about food groups